|

|

Content

Wednesday, July 5

Take a hike

Ever since California, Ryan and I have been trying to walk a ton more during the day. We didn't realize until we found a long-buried app on our phones that a) we were being tracked and b) we did some serious hiking through those amusement parks. We immediately decided that walking is good for you (Eureka!) and that it should be done more (gasp!). Now we're in a daily competition to get more miles. I have won every day so far (thanks, not having a desk job!). Somehow being tracked is really motivating me.  Last week while the older boys were at soccer camp for two hours I walked in circles around the playground while the other three played instead of sitting on a bench like I wanted to. This week camp is a drop-off and leave affair, so I have to find another way to up my step count. In a stroke of inspiration I decided to step out the front door, turn on my audiobook, and walk to Minto Island Park.

It's a mile from the house to the entrance, which would be no problem except the 85 degree heat bouncing at me off the pavement, and I have to walk down what must be a 45 degree decline almost the entire way. It's horrible on my old-lady knees and I was in pain before I even got to the park. Ooooops.

Once I did get there, however, all the pain was worth it.
It was disgustingly hot, but it was also disgustingly beautiful, so it balanced out.
Plus there were nice shady patches.
At about the hour and a half mark I was ready to be magically transported home, but that technology hasn't been invented yet. Instead I had to finish the park loop and then drag myself, panting and sweating and cursing all the way back up through that awful, awful hilly neighboorhood and back to my house. I made it as far as the boys' school (half a mile away from the house) and collapsed on the track in order to ensure I didn't collapse on the road. I took a nice little siesta, texted Ryan to tell him to have the ambulance on speed dial and set my sights on home.
I walked in the door, kicked off my shoes, downed 3/4 of a water bottle in one gulp, and went straight for the freezer for the frozen veggies. I was utterly miserable and totally triumphant.
Go me! (Just don't go downstairs to check the laundry because there's no way you'll be able to make it back up. Ow, ow, ow...)

1 comments:

THS says:
at: 7:20 AM said...

OMG - impressive, but next time save your knees and drive to Minto Brown to walk your 5 miles!!! Or have me come and drop you off there. Going back up the hill for home isn't as hard on the knees as walking down that hill.
THS

Post a Comment

The Fam

Ryan and Allie
Cael | 10
Finn | 8
Declan | 6

|

|
Powered by Blogger.

:)

:)

Search This Blog

Blog Archive